HHS Competition CoEd Cheer

It’s hard to be humble when you can stunt, jump, and tumble!

Maya Mahone, Contributor

Those are all key components to being a great cheerleader. Cheerleading is a sport that takes attitude, strength, flexibility, and a whole lot of make-up. Hardaway High School’s competition cheerleading team first began over twenty years ago, and the Hawks have a history of winning, but recently it looks like they’re having trouble in that area. I interviewed both Coach Abell and Coach Canal about the team and what it is like during competition season. They both agreed that since the competition team is coed that they would love to have more guys and also that the team needs more tumbling. Competition season lasts from October to November and the team attends at least five competitions. I had the privilege of attending one of these competitions this past weekend October 8, 2016. It was the Pat Carter Cheerleading Invitational held at Columbus State University hosted by Northside High school. The team arrived at the Lumpkin Center around 11:45 and watched the middle school teams compete until it was time for them to warm up at around 2:20. Hardaway competed first in the Coed division against Northside, Milton High, and Woodland. Hardaway placed fourth overall in their division and left with their heads held high. Hardaway performed a two minute and 30 second routine choreographed by United Cheerleading’s Marquis Strong. Now, I asked the coaches if they had any pre competition strategies or rituals. Coach Abell and Coach Canal informed me that all they have to do is practice harder and harder. The team practices almost every day of the week including Saturday mornings to perfect the routine before competition. I have watched the team at practices and have also seen the chemistry between the girls, guys, and the coaches. They seem to enjoy being together. Throughout the whole competition the team laughed and cheered each other on as they hit stunts and landed jumps. The Hardaway Hawks cheerleading team may not get as much credit and publicity as the football team or other sports teams, but they work extremely hard every day to represent the Hawks well.