Meet Mrs. Marcades

HHS Chorus Teacher & Choral Director

Jasmine Reed, Contributor

What skills are needed to become apart of Chorus? I can answer this one!  Depends on the class.  I have beginning, intermediate and advanced classes.  The only truly advanced class I have is my Advanced Women’s Chorus class, and females are placed in there by recommendation only.  These ladies have usually sung with me for at least 2 years (juniors), but, over the years, there have been several sophomore women who were talented and skilled enough to be a part of this class.  Since I was able to create a men only class, I have had some “advanced” men in  the Men’s class – guys who sang all 3 years in middle school or who have sung with me for several years.  This year, half of the class is men who are brand new to me (freshman or men who have previously attended HHS but haven’t been in the program), and half of the class are returning sophomores.  I do have one senior in there, and he has sung with me for 3 years!  To simply join chorus, a student doesn’t need any skills!  That’s what I’m here for – to teach people how to sing and read music.  My beginning women’s class is perfect for the new singer.  I do, of course, expect that someone have a willingness to learn new skills and that he/she be open to constructive criticism and change!

Why did you become the Chorus teacher/ sponsor? I’ve never had any other role at HHS…I was hired to be the choir director.

What is your favorite part about teaching Chorus?   The aspect of vocal music education that I enjoy the most is the variety.  Every year is different…new students…new music to learn.  It’s also nice teaching something that I enjoy so much myself.  I love to sing, and I love helping people discover that they can sing, too, with enough good instruction, practice and patience.