The Good and Bad of Video Games

Broderick Lang, Contributor

I have five reasons in this article as to why video games are bad for students. This list will include the reasons why video games are harmful, and with each item on the list, I  will counter with explanation about how and why video games can be beneficial. BTW, This is not a ranked list.

They rot your brain.

This reason can also be said for TV, but this is video games. Lots of video games can be fairly beneficial to your brain. They can help you with your reflexes, especially the games with quick time events, and for those of you who are reading this and don’t know what quick time events are, they are times in a game when you have a short amount of time to press a button on the controller to advance through the level or mission. There are also games, fighting games in particular, where you are given a limited amount of time to swing so that the situation will be in your favor. All of this is just improving your reflexes whether you realize it or not. In addition, there are some games that require you to solve puzzles in order to advance through the level, and puzzles are always helpful for the brain.

Games can make you violent.

My only response to this would be “Ummm… What?” First off, not all video games have fighting or shooting in them, those might be the more popular types, but they aren’t the only games in the video game industry. There’s NBA 2K, Madden, Just Dance, the makers of Just Dance even made a Just Sing game.

Video games make you antisocial.

No, just no. Many of the video games that are played nowadays have an online multiplayer option or if they don’t, there are still plenty of games that allow you to plug in a second or even a third controller and play with people next to you. Back to the online multiplayer aspect, you are playing with tons of people all over the country, all over the world actually. If you are in an online game, and if you like the people you are playing with, then you can add them as a friend and be able to play with them more often.  Who knows?  Maybe that other person that you added has a lot of the same games you have and in turn a lot of the same interests.

They blur the lines between fantasy and reality.

Games for some people are a good stress reliever. They can help people unwind and that blur between fantasy and reality might be just what they need to relax. If you are playing games as a hobby, then more power to you, but if you can’t tell the difference between what is real and what is a video game then you are playing too much and might be addicted.

You don’t get exercise.

Let me start off by saying, you are playing video games too much if you aren’t getting exercise or at least balancing the time of exercise and time on a game. Now, granted there are some games that have you move in order to play; for example, the original Wii Sports games and Just Dance just to name a few.