Determination + Motivation = Success

Talking with Cameron Murray

Ciera Walker, Contributor

Slow and steady wins the race, right? Well, Hardaway High School’s football team is a prime example of just that. Although, Hardaway was victorious in their Hardaway vs. Spencer scrimmage way back in August, they didn’t exactly start the season off with a bang. Nonetheless, our Hawks were not to going to let defeat define the rest of the season.  Fast forward to our recent win over Westover by a score of 28-6. The ball is just starting to roll, and we are all expecting more victories from our football team.

But what truly makes a successful team? What’s the difference between “taking Ls” and bringing home “dubs?” Sitting down with Cameron Murray, a sophomore on the HHS football team, really gave some clear insight as to what exactly it takes physically and mentally to handle it all. Cameron’s positions are TE and WR, but most importantly, he truly has real love and pure passion for the game. When asked about his strengths and weaknesses, his response was, “I don’t have any. There’s never been and never will be a time when I do anything perfectly. I always strive for better; my hard determination is what drives me.” Now, his response may seem a tad bizarre simply because it’s not the norm, but for Cameron, it’s what he’s learned to live by.

From practicing with each other almost every day, to playing with each other on the field almost every Friday, it’s easy to believe that these players are more than just teammates. The atmosphere of an average practice is very physical and demanding, but overall it’s just a boat load of fun. In fact, Cameron uses the word, “brothers” as a way of describing his relationship with the other players. With the help of their many coaches, this band of brothers learns what it means to start together and end together. No matter what, they always look out for one another and support each other through it all. They use the coaches’ words and constant encouragement as motivation to keep up their good work and to kick out the negative vibes. A family is what they’ve created and with a bond like this one, there’s no way any other team could try and knock them down.

You can practice every day for years, but what really counts are the precious moments spent on the field during the game. I asked Cameron about his typical game day mood, he responded with “Focused.” For him, it’s all about your mind and what you do from the moment you wake, to the moment you step out on the field. Your mind should be constantly replaying your part, before the day starts, while the day is going on, continuing through the end of the school day, just to make sure you are just as mentally prepared for your part, as you are physically. Before every game, it’s practically a ritual that the team walks the field and prays together, creating that feeling of unification. Without a doubt, this is exactly what really brings the strength behind our team. The team’s expectations are to make it all the way to the playoffs, and we, the members of the Hardaway community, are going to follow them all the way there.

Although, Cameron Murray is one of our football players, he is more than just an athlete. His favorite subject is Math and his best subject is History. In ten years, he expects to see himself either still in or graduating from college or a university. When he’s not physically playing football, he’s still playing football, on Madden, a video game. He doesn’t know for sure if football is something he would want to pursue as an actual career, but if given the opportunity he would be more than grateful for the chance. One of Cameron’s football role models is Julio Jones and his favorite quote is, “Be greedy! Don’t stop working! You are never at your best!” Before this season is over, he hopes to grasp and gain a better understanding of the game, football in and of itself. When asked if he expects for Hardaway to win the Hardaway vs. Northside game, Cameron responded with, “Of course! We won’t accept nothing less,”.