Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Vs. Kylie Cosmetics by Kylie Jenner

Battle of the Makeup Brands

Imani Ragland * Edited by Kayla Winston-Bass, Contributors

About Fenty Beauty and Rihanna

Robyn Rihanna Fenty is a singer, songwriter, and actor: born in Saint Michael, Barbados and raised in Bridgetown. During 2003, she recorded demo tapes under the direction of record producer Evan Rogers and signed a recording contract with Def. Jam Recordings. Soon after auditioning for its previous president, hip-hop producer and rapper Jay Z.  In 2005, Rihanna rose to fame with the release of her debut studio album, “Music of the Sun” and its follow-up “A Girl like Me in 2006. Both which charted on the Top 10 of the US Billboard 200 and respectively produced the singles “Pon de Replay” and “SOS“.

She grew up in a three-bedroom bungalow in Bridgetown and sold clothes with her father in a stall on the street. Rihanna’s childhood was deeply affected by her father’s addiction to crack cocaine and alcohol, which contributed to her parents’ strained marriage. “My mom wasn’t flexible. I wore no makeup.” Though she was not allowed to wear makeup back then, Rihanna says her mom who worked at a cosmetics store back in the day, inspired her passion for makeup and perfume. Rihanna was inspired to create “Fenty Beauty” after years of experimenting with the best-of-the-best in beauty. She launched a makeup line “so that women everywhere would be included,” focusing on a wide range of traditionally hard-to-match skin tones. Rihanna created formulas that work for all skin types, and pinpointed universal shades.

“Fenty Beauty” products are made to feel lightweight, even as they deliver buildable coverage that effortlessly layers, to ultimately “make skin look like skin.” Most importantly, Rihanna creates makeup to inspire “Makeup is there for you to have fun with. It should never feel like pressure. It should never feel like a uniform. Feel free to take chances, and take risks, and dare to do something new or different.”

About Kylie Cosmetics and Kylie Jenner:

Kylie Jenner is an American reality television personality, model, entrepreneur, socialite, and social media personality. She is best known for starring in the “E!” Reality television series “Keep up with the Kardashians” since age nine. Kylie is also famous for her brand of cosmetics, and her large social media presence. Jenner was born in Los Angeles, California. She is the youngest daughter of 1976 Summer Olympics decathlon winner Caitlyn Jenner and TV personality Kris Jenner. She has an older sister, Kendall. On Kris’s side of the family, she has three older half-sisters, KourtneyKim and Khloé Kardashian, and one older half-brother, Rob. Jenner also has three older half-brothers from Caitlyn’s side of the family Burt, Brandon, and an older half-sister Casey.

Kylie attended Sierra Canyon School, where she was a member of the

cheerleading team. Jenner claims to have performed in plays while attending school, along with community plays. In 2012, she became homeschooled and enrolled in an at-home education program, from which she graduated with a high school diploma in July 2015 from Laurel Springs School in Ojai California. In June 2017, Jenner announced two new cosmetics sets in collaboration with her sister Khloe Kardashian and the Kylie Cosmetics KoKo collection. Later that month she was accused of stealing designs for a series of camouflage items released on her online website, whose creative director supported the claims.

Who do you think has the better makeup brand?

Source credits:

https://www.fentybeauty.com/about-fenty

https://www.kyliecosmetics.com/pages/about