Senior- Meadow Thrasher

Senior year is scary and fun at the same time.

Allyson Hale, Contributor

Senior year is a scary year for many reasons. It will be your last year of public school, and it’s the year that will make or break you. Will you graduate or will you stay for five instead of four years?
Senior year is also the most fun you will have in your high school career. You are granted privileges that the underclassmen don’t have, and you’re celebrated for completing a hard twelve years of school. You get to graduate with a diploma and the prospect of a future college career. Meadow Thrasher, a fellow Hardaway senior, agrees.
“Senior year has been really good,” Thrasher says with a smile. “It’s been the fastest year of all my high school years.” She goes on to say that she enjoys how she feels more important and that the most important year goes by a little too quickly.
She also comments how it is “bittersweet to know that once May comes around, I will not walk into high school anymore.” As a senior myself and representing the senior class as a whole, I wholeheartedly agree with this. It feels weird to know that this coming August, we seniors will not be walking the halls of Hardaway High School. Instead, some of us will be walking the sidewalks of a college where we will be taking our next steps to becoming scholars.
Our senior class specifically is drastically different than last year’s, however. While they were wild and carefree, we are hard-working and steady. This is the first year where the senior project was set upon us, having us shadow real professionals and write research papers in preparation for getting a job. Some advice, presented by Thrasher, is that “you need to take your time because the teacher will tell you a different thing than the instructions and it gets confusing really quick after that.”
To those juniors nervous about senior year, don’t be! Some advice would be to take “dual enrollment so that you can get college credits while still in high school” (Thrasher). It will be one less class to take in college, and you get to leave after fifth period too.
Maybe senior year isn’t so scary. You have your challenges, but it is nothing anyone can’t handle. Miss Thrasher and myself used to be juniors, and if we can do it, the rising seniors can too! So, take your senior year with a pencil in one hand and your heart in the other.