Don’t Hate the Headphones!

The battle against technology

Ivory Alexander, Contributor

Imagine this: you are a Hardaway High school student, probably a junior or senior. You are sitting in class among your peers, trying to concentrate on doing your classwork. Then, out of nowhere, you hear the faint sound of singing somewhere in the classroom. You and your fellow classmates turn your attention to a student in the corner, who now has a large pair of black and grey headphones on their ears. You sigh in frustration. You know exactly what’s going to happen next.

You must have heard the announcement by good old Mr. Bell.

You know, the one that says “No headphones allowed on school grounds.” Surely you must have been paying attention, my dear reader, since it is your very livelihood that he is threatening.

The endless chatter of worried students and exasperated adults have swamped classrooms for an entire week now. The kids hide their headphones in shame, while the bold few risk the chance to listen to the popular rappers of their generation. The teachers watch their students like hawks, and the students quietly rebel against the new rule in angry silence.

Personally, I don’t get the problem with headphones. It seems to me that the only reason the school is attacking headphones is because they can’t ban phones altogether. So, the next logical step for them is to attack the $10 giants in the ears of students. Frankly, it seems nonsensical and weirdly aggressive if you think about it.

I’m pretty sure there are much more important things to be worrying about than a pair of headphones on a student’s head, like the skipping of classes or the rampant racism and homophobia among the students. But no, they have to concentrate on banning some harmless devices because adults are mad that students like to listen to music, which is no big deal. There is no need to get bent out of shape just because a student claims to work better while listening to Lil Wayne, especially since future graduates are already stressed out over a Senior Project that no adult in sight is helping us with.

Taking away headphones is only a small “solution” to a “problem” when you compare it to other problems in the school, such as students skipping classes or Math teachers not properly teaching their students.

Don’t hate the headphones; locate and discipline the students who like to hang out in the bathrooms while class is in session.