The Five Senses of Spring

Spring is just not for me.

Ciera Walker, Contributor

I don’t know about anybody else, but Spring is just not for me. Everyone is getting so excited about Spring Break, and the pretty flowers, and the warm weather; whereas I on the other hand, have to keep my breathing treatment ready and the hospital on speed dial.

With Spring, comes bees, and pollen, and crazy weather, and all this does is bring the allergies out. Though I can say there are quite a few enjoyable points as it pertains to Springtime, such as the constant sunshine or the positive vibes that seem to spread among everyone,; I cannot hide the fact that Spring has the ability to hit practically everyone with these five points of impact – and it’s quite ironic how they go right along with the five senses.

1. Sight

Even though this point is supposed to deal with sight, it’s really quite the opposite; not being able to see is the problem. Hundreds of thousands of new plants and flowers are blossoming uncontrollably, and the bees are just having a field day. However, this pollen begins to spread all over: it’s in the air, on the doors, in your hair, on your hands, and guess where they all end up, right in your eyes. No matter how many times you wash your hands or even your eyes, there is really just no getting rid of it. Once you step outside you’ve already made contact, and once you reach for one inanimate object outdoors, it’s over. Not only do your eyes already itch from the pollen, but you must use your pollen-infested hand to rub your pollen-infested eyeballs. By this time, pools of water are just streaming down your face and no amount of help seems to make these tears disappear. At this point, you’ve already made yourself into a hot mess and can’t do anything more, but to accept your fate and hope for the best.

2. Hearing

Oh, how the birds love to chirp in the morning. From the comfort of your warm bed you can just hear the little critters singing and chattering to one another, and you think to yourself, “Hmmm, seems like today will be a pleasant day.”

Well that would be incorrect, because you step one foot outside with your light sweater on and you will quickly return right back to your closet to grab that winter coat. The mornings are freezing, but you praise the Heavens because you assume they have answered your prayers to bring back winter and save you from this mass pollen fest. However, by the end of the day, you have pried that once warm, fuzzy, winter coat off your body and have allowed it to dry from the puddles of sweat that have dripped from your body due to the wacky weather raising its temperatures. It’s a consistent battle, jacket on…jacket off…I’m too hot….now I’m cold. Not to mention those randomly timed moments, when everything’s fine, and then out of nowhere you hear the pitter patter of rain drops rumbling across the earth. You would think this would be a good thing, these April showers are coming to wash this pollen away; sadly no, it just comes right back like nothing ever happened at all.

3. Taste

Spring is just another word for the death of taste buds. All through the winter you have the ability to eat as you choose. You want that juicy hamburger? You can have it. You want those fresh cut French fries? They are all yours. Why is this? Because you have the satisfaction of knowing that once you eat this delicious meal, every single calorie gained is about to be covered up with the cutest oversized sweatshirt Forever 21 had to offer.

When Spring rolls around, all of that is thrown right out the window. Your friends are coming around talking about their 30 day detox challenge to get their “beach bod” back for Spring Break and your immediate thought is back to those hundreds of calories gained all through the winter that need to magically disappear before all your friends notice you’re the only one still wearing sweatpants and a hoodie. Now, you’ve come to find yourself begging your mother to buy you fruits and vegetables on her next trip to the grocery store.

4. Smell

For my fellow Hardaway counterparts, I don’t think much needs to be said as it pertains to those pretty, white trees that have blossomed in our school’s courtyard. We can all agree that those trees are some of the biggest and most beautiful trees we might have ever laid eyes on; but on the other hand, they carry the foulest odor. These trees smell so bad, that even the boy’s locker room sounds like a more pleasant place to be then underneath that awful gift sent straight from nature. These trees have been given the official title of the Bradford Pear trees, quite weird since they don’t produce pears, but many people have begun to give these trees their own names, one of which I won’t mention.

5. Touch

Last, but certainly not least, touch, so grab your cleaning supplies because Spring means Spring cleaning. Not only does Spring cleaning mean cleaning out your winter closet and putting in that Spring collection, but that even includes getting that pollen as far away from your location as possible. When it comes to those clothes though, there is always that hard decision about what exactly should be thrown away and what is absolutely imperative you keep.

Not to mention that little second of blast to the past you get when you lay hands on practically the only pair of shorts you wore the entire Summer because they were your absolute favorites. This process is no easy task;  in fact Spring cleaning is no one weekend and done task, but it is a many times task if you live a semi-busy life.  By the end of it though, you will be a happy person because of your clean house and the less likely chance that one of your allergy attacks will occur again.