Interview With Mr. Bell

Principal @ Hardaway High School

Tameika Porter, Contributor

How do you like working at Hardaway as the principal? “I love it! I’ve been doing it for 12 ½ years.”

What is your favorite part about your job? My favorite part about my job is helping teachers help students achieve.“

What is your least favorite part about your job? My least favorite part about my job is basically dealing with student discipline issues. I don’t like it because it’s negative.”

What do you do on your spare time when you are not on Hardaway’s campus? When I’m home I spend time with my dogs. I love dogs, and I have 4 dogs- 3 big dogs and 1 little dog”.

What made you want to become a school principal? ”What made me want to become a school principal is I guess I was just looking for new challenges to to take on and it was a natural progression.”

What qualification did you need in order to become a school principal? “I had to have  3 years teaching experience followed by 3 years of experience in administration as an assistant principal and I also earned  a Specialist Degree from Troy State.”

How long have you been in education? I’ve been a principal at Hardaway for 12 ½ years, but  it is my 23rd year in education.”

If you could change anything about your school what would it be? ”If I could change anything about Hardaway, I would change the whole entire building to make it a brand new structure. I would also make it nicer, cleaner, and safer for the students that attend.”

Do you recommend this career to a person who wants to become a school principal? “This is probably one of the toughest jobs there is in the country right now– to be a school principal.  There are many different challenges, so I would highly recommend this job to anyone who’s willing to face a very big challenge.”

What is the scariest part about your job? “Oh yeah, I most definitely feel like the scariest part about my job is just dealing with students’ future. You want to guide and direct them into the right path with very good advice, so that they can have a really bright future.”