Making an Effort to Leave Your Comfort Zone

Why I choose to say “Yes” to Opportunities that Scare Me

Lily Toohey, Contributor

After reading the NYT article, “How Often Do You Leave Your ‘Comfort Zone?” by Katherine Schulten, it inspired me to write an article about my 2018-2019 school year goal.  My goal for this school year was to stop saying “No” to opportunities that make me nervous or that will bring me out of my comfort zone. In the past, I always said “No” to the opportunities that were brought to my attention because I was scared of making mistakes, and I never believed that I could do it.

Things changed when I saw a YouTube video by the creators Yes Theory. Their whole YouTube channel is about them saying “Yes” to things that pull them out of their comfort zone or involve going up to strangers on the street. In their most recent video, they traveled to an airport and gave people the opportunity to drop the plans they had originally made to travel wherever they wanted, for free. Many people said “No” but one couple said “Yes.” They got to go to Hawaii for a day and it was their best trip yet! Yes Theory changed the way I look at life. Great results come from saying “Yes” and getting pulled out of your comfort zone.

So why do I choose to say “Yes?” The first reason is because it gives me more self-confidence and makes me realize that I can literally do anything by saying “Yes” and putting my mind to it. For example, a big fear of mine has always been acting. I have done a couple of projects with the Springer Film Institute.  My first experience with the Springer Film Institute was learning the basics of film and how to pull it off. A couple of months later, after my class had ended, I received an email asking if I would like to intern for one of the classes. I was ecstatic at first, and then quickly realized that they might need me to act. I freaked out and I began doubting myself. “What if I forget all of the lines?” “ What if I…?” I started questioning my abilities to do it.

I then reminded myself of my school goal. Without really thinking it through, I accepted their request and I interned. The very first day of being on set, they made me act! I was extremely nervous but I did it! I did forget my lines once, but everyone was so nice and didn’t seem to care. I realized I had nothing to worry about. After interning was over, I was asked to do more stuff with the Springer and I gained even more confidence!

About two months ago, someone suggested that I should join Model UN. I had a tiny bit of knowledge about it, but all I knew was that it involved speaking in front of others. I knew right away I didn’t want to do it because I am not the biggest fan of public speaking and I get really anxious. I reminded myself to just say “Yes” because the result will always be worth it. Once I said “Yes,” I had many moments when I regretted it. After the event was over, I was very happy I got out of my comfort zone and accomplished it.

Saying “Yes” to opportunities is absolutely awesome! Even if there are moments when you ask yourself, Why am I doing this?, it will always have some type of reward. It pulls you out of your comfort zone, gives you confidence, can get you over a fear, and can result in even greater opportunities. Next time when there is an opportunity where you are afraid of being pulled out of your comfort zone, just say “Yes!”