Interviewing Soccer HHS Soccer Players

Going for the goal?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Interviewing Soccer HHS Soccer Players

Darrien Hardnett, Contributor

Will you be supporting the Hardaway Hawks soccer team this season? Monique Miller and Qudarius (Que) Matta are eager to get out there on that field for their final year of playing soccer in high school. Monique used to love watching soccer on TV so one day she asked her mom if she could sign up for it, and the next thing you know she was out there playing at Woodruff Farm Soccer Complex. She has been playing since she was in the third grade and from the very beginning,  she fell in love with the sport. “The best part of soccer is scoring; it feels so good!” She loves all her teammates and described them to be cool and fun people. If she were to ever have an All Star team, she would pick every boy and girl off the school’s soccer team.

Que used to play soccer when he was younger with friends and family but never for an actual team. He was still able to learn how to kick, dribble, pass, and play impressive defense. The World Cup inspired him to play because he saw how athletic and determined the players were to win. This is actually his first year playing for an organized team. Playing defense is his specialty; it allows him to be more aware of his surroundings and display agility. Even though this is his first time playing soccer with the Hawks, he considers them has family: “I consider my teammates as family. We view each other as equals and we’re always united as one.” If he were to create his own All Star team, it would consist of Zavier Clarke, Taylor Johnson, Rueben Castillo, Danta Brown, Larae Dennis, Jocelyn Jackson, Monique Miller, Karif Nunes, Isaias Zamudio, and H. McGrew. “I choose these candidates for my  team because I feel as if these players have the most potential to go out and perform to the best of their abilities in the game– no matter what happens. They are able to persevere through anything and be leaders, show commitment and more importantly display teamwork.”