Construction Pathway Student Interview

Interview with third year construction student, Kelvin Turner

Back to Article
Back to Article

Construction Pathway Student Interview

Hannah Frost, Contributor

Interviewer: Hannah Frost

Interviewee: Kelvin Turner 3rd year construction student

Interview Setting: Interview was conducted in the construction room shop. The interview was conducted at 2:50 PM on Tuesday afternoon.

Affiliation with interviewee: I have known Kelvin sense middle school and taken several classes with him.

(Start of Interview)

Interviewer: What are some of the day to day responsibilities of a construction student?

Interviewee: As a third-year construction student, I handle making sure other students know what to do and helping them if they need it. Each class of the day is responsible for keeping the shop clean and cleaning it at the end of each period. We also must work on and complete our assignments; for example, today we are finishing the dog houses we have been working on.

Interviewer: What are some qualities that are expected of a construction student?

Interviewee: A good construction student should always be on time to class and make sure they are aware of the instructions and always know what is going on. They are always on task and are ready to get to work.

Interviewer: What’s your favorite part of being a construction student?

Interviewee: I enjoy being able to meet new people and being around others. We get to collaborate on assignments and work together. We are always doing something and constantly being active.  Construction students are always involved in what is going on.

Interviewer: How can taking a construction (skill based) class impact your future?

Interviewee: It has taught me so many skills that will help me in the future. For example, I have real-life experience in carpentry. This experience could help me to find a job.

Interviewer: What do you plan on doing after you graduate?

Interviewee: I plan on going to Georgia Tech and then I want to find work in Aerospace Engineering. path.

Interviewer: How has taking construction helped you plan for your future?

Interviewee: Taking construction has helped me decide what I want to do with my life, and it has given me the experience needed to get me there.

Interviewer: What kinds of things have you done in construction?

Interviewee: We have built boxes, learned how to measure things, built dog houses, and even learned the different types of wood  and how and when to use each one. We have learned a lot in this class over the past few years, and it is one of my favorite parts of the day. I am always busy; I can’t wait to get to construction class and get to work.

Interviewer: Construction students are always working so hard; is there any way for students to display or compete with the work you have done?

Interviewee: We sell our cutting boards that we make every year, and if we are a part of the SKILLS USA group, we go to competitions several times a year.

Interviewer: What fundraisers are done throughout the year that help fund the trips and the program?

Interviewee: As I said before, we make cutting boards to sell and we oversee the annual crash and bash.

Interviewer: Thanks for your time.

Interviewee: You’re welcome.