18 Fun Facts You Did Not Know About U.S. Presidents

By Nicole Blair

Nicole Blair, Contributor

While we all know that Barack was our first black president or that George Washington was our first president, many of you may still be in the dark about some facts of our U.S. presidents. Here are some facts that could be a shocker to you about our U.S. Presidents.

1. Did you know that George Washington was the only president unanimously elected? All the state representatives voted for him.
  2. Did you know that Thomas Jefferson was also an accomplished architect? He designed his famous home at Monticello as well as buildings for the University of Virginia.
  3. Did you know that on the day he was shot, Lincoln told his bodyguard that he had dreamed he would be assassinated?
  4. Did you know that Franklin D. Roosevelt met President Grover Cleveland when he was five years old? Cleveland said “I am making a wish for you. It is that you may never become president of the United States”.
  5. Did you know that Teddy Roosevelt was blind in his left eye due to an injury in a boxing match?
  6. Did you know that When Ronald Reagan was shot by an assassin in 1981, he joked “I forgot to duck?”
  7. Did you know that John F. Kennedy was the first president who was a Boy Scout?
  8. Did you know that the “S” in Harry S. Truman does not stand for anything?
  9. Did you know that Woodrow Wilson was buried at the Washington National Cathedral? He is the only president buried in Washington D.C.
  10. Did you know that Andrew Jackson was shot in the chest during a gun dual, but managed to stay standing and shoot and kill his opponent? The bullet could not be safely removed and remained in his chest for the next 40 years.
  11. Did you know that George W. Bush and Donald Trump are the only presidents to have earned a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree?
  12. Did you know that Barack Obama won a Grammy Award in 2006 for his voice on the audio book Dreams from My Father?
  13. Did you know that after working at a Baskin-Robbins as a teen, President Obama no longer likes ice cream? Shocker!!!!
  14. Did you know that Bill Clinton enjoys playing the saxophone and was a member of a band called “Three Blind Mice” in high school?
  15. Did you know that Martin Van Buren was the first president to be born as a citizen of the United States? The presidents before him were born as British subjects.
  16. Did you know that Martin Van Buren was the only president to speak English as a second language? His first language was Dutch.
  17. Did you know that James K. Polk was the first president to have his photograph taken while in office?
  18. Did you know that William Henry Harrison died just 32 days after becoming president? He died from a cold he got while standing in the rain giving his inauguration speech.

Did these facts shock you as much as they did me? Who would have known that President Barack Obama could not stand ice cream? Why would Ronald Regan joke in his last moments about his tragedy? How did Abe Lincoln know that he was going to be killed?  Why do you think President Cleveland told FDR that he should not become president? I found out a lot of fun information that I did not know. I enjoy learning new things, especially about our country. As we celebrate another President’s Day, keep these fun facts in mind.

Source credit: https://www.ducksters.com/biography/uspresidents/president_fun_facts.php